U.S. Federal Government Wireless Voice & Data Market Maintains Stable Growth
The federal government’s use of mobile technology lags behind the private sector. There is little doubt that any significant upgrade of the government infrastructure will prompt upgrade of the legacy mobile ecosystem, not in the least over cybersecurity concerns of mobile communications. The U.S. Federal Government mobility spending over the next few years will be driven by the following major forces:
- Growth in the government mobile data traffic doubling on annual basis;
- Urgent need to upgrade obsolete legacy systems;
- Pressure to resolve interoperability issues for public safety and emergency networks;
- Emergence of IoT devices, wireless sensor networks;
- Rapid evolvement of mobile technologies, mobile applications and use of smartphones.
The 5th generation of federal government wireless access networks are expected to meet system and service requirements of the new use cases and applications in federal agencies. Connecting federal workers and enabling new government services is the most significant aspect of 5G in preparation to meet the demands of the information-driven government of 21st century.
The U.S. Federal Government mobility market is expected to grow at 2.9% CAGR approaching $11 billion in 2023. The report covers the mobility products, technologies and services for the U.S. Federal Government market.
Mobile technology is changing the ways of the government. How does the U.S. government use the mobile technology to deliver services and information always, anytime, anywhere to the public? How does the U.S. government use the mobile technology in running the government enterprise? Quite efficiently and on the par with the private sector, concludes the report.
The use of mobile technology in the U.S. government is driven by:
- the ubiquity of mobile use
- opportunities of mobile technology to improve the performance of the government enterprise
- innovations in mobile technology that can propel new government services/service delivery
- convenience of mobile access to government data and information.
The technological advances embodied in today’s smartphones have introduced significant changes and challenges to the way the government agencies communicate and conduct between themselves and toward the public. Smartphones have become a “must-have” electronic gadget for daily government business. The mobile devices are replacing the need for laptops and desktops with processor speeds surpassing 3GHz, storage capacity exceeding 64GB, support for numerous cellular and wireless networking technologies, and countless applications available for government servant. In order to capitalize on the advancements, significant obstacles need to be overcome to mitigate the new risks presented by the use of COTS smartphones. These new risks must be well-understood and mitigated by a combination of operational, management and technical controls before a mobile workforce can take full advantage of these new capabilities. Tackling these challenges opens wide market opportunities for government contractors and mobile service vendors.
The report provides detailed year-by-year (2018 – 2023) forecasts for the following U.S. Federal Government mobility market segments:
- Agency-by-agency detailed forecasts for defense, civilian and intelligence segments;
- Mobile infrastructure segments: mobile network equipment, mobile management software, mobile devices (including IoT) and contracted mobile services;
- High priority segments: mobile application management (including platform services), mobile device management, mobile security management, emergency networks, fixed line-mobile transition, IoT management and compliance services.
- By investment type – National Security Systems, Mission Area Support, Infrastructure & Office Automation & Telecommunications, Grants to State and Local Mobility Investments, Enterprise architecture and planning.
Table of Contents
1. Market Report Scope and Methodology
1.2. Research Methodology
2. U.S. Federal Government Mobility Market in Numbers 2018-2023
2.1. Department of Defense: Mobility Market Forecast 2018-2023
2.2. Civilian Agencies: Mobility Market Forecast 2018-2023
2.3. U.S. Federal Government Mobility Market Forecast 2018–2023 by Defense and Civilian Agencies
2.4. Intelligence Community: Mobility Market Forecast 2018-2023
2.5. U.S. Federal Government Mobility Market Forecast 2018–2023 by Mobile Infrastructure Segments
2.6. U.S. Federal Government Mobility Market Forecast 2018-2023: High Priority Segments
2.7. U.S. Federal Government Mobility Market 2018-2023 by Investment Type
List of Figures
Fig. 1- U.S. Federal Government Cumulative Mobility Market 2018-2023 by Investment Type, %
Fig. 2- U.S. Federal Government Cumulative Mobility Market 2018-2023 by Investment Type, $Mln
List of Tables
Table 1 – U.S. Federal Government Mobility Market Forecast 2018-2023, $Mln
Table 2 – DoD: Mobility Market Forecast 2018-2023 by Agency, $Mln
Table 3 – Civilian Agencies: Mobility Market Forecast 2018-2023 by Agency, $Mln
Table 4 – U.S. Federal Government Mobility Market by Defense and Civilian Agencies 2018-2023, $Mln
Table 5 – Intelligence Community: Mobility Market Forecast 2018-2023, $Mln
Table 6 – U.S. Federal Government Mobility Market Forecast 2018-2023 by Mobile Network Equipment, Mobile Management Software, Mobile Devices (incl. IoT) and Contracted IT Services (incl. cloud), $Mln
Table 7 – U.S. Federal Government Mobility Market Forecast 2018-2023 by High Priority Segments, $Mln